Which scope for a 300 Weatherby mag?

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by billjr, Jun 25, 2007.

1. billjr

billjr Guest

Hi guys. I am hoping to get some advice. I have always bought "cheap" scopes, $120 and under, but I want to put a good scope on my weatherby. I want to try to keep it around $400. Any suggestions on a high quality scope that can handle the recoil of a 300 weatherby mag? The plan is for this set up to be my Elk gun.

Thanks,

Bill, Jr

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX-II or III, Burris Fullfield II or Signature, Bushnell 4200, and Nikon Monarch are some of the brands and models I can think of off hand. I prefer something in the 3-9x range with 40mm objective as I feel this is the best compromise between power, field of view, weight, and size.

3. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I'm with uglydog on power and objectives,I have a Leupold VXlll 3.5-9X40 and when I sighted it in several years ago I never had to move it,always right on,I shoot alot and if it moves even a little I would have noticed it.Last year a friend bet me a beer I could not shoot a 1 inch group with the 300 weatherby mag,he has 1 and it always shoots 1 1/2 to 2 inches,I shot under 1 inch,that corona was good!.I recently bedded the stock and painted it so I removed the Leupold for that project,I may have to resight but it won't be far off.If a Leupold ever drifts even a little just send it back to Oregon and it will be repaired and sent back super fast.I have heard similar reports with the high end Burris scopes,not the Fullfields series but Siginature and Black Diamond series scopes,both are American made.Nikon has a state side repair facility I'm told that does the same thing.Leupolds VXll scopes are one of the best values around,you can tell I like Leupolds but I do have a Nikon Monarch 3-9X40 that works just as well also.Drop-Shot

4. billjr

billjr Guest

Thats for advice. I had been looking at a Nikon Monarch but always wondered if the Leopolds were worth the extra $s. Sounds like they are.

Thanks again.

5. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

I've gpt a couple of the Nikon scopes in the 3x9x40. I don't like them as much as Leupold. Their not as clear and they make my eyes hurt with shooting too much with them from the bench. Any of the ones mentioned earlier will work just fine.

HWD

6. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Billjr I have dropped them out of tree stands at least 2 times that I remember,ran over 1 with my truck(back wheels only),dropped one over board while hunting/fishing,marked the spot and went down in my birthday suit and an air tank and mask the next day and found it almost covered in mud,about 4 inches of barrel was sticking out of the mud,the tides changed 4 times before I could dive for it.Pulled it out of the mud and soaked it in the bath tub,I just figured the scope was no good,I cleaned it up and still use that scope and rifle today.I dropped one over a cliff as a friend and I tumbled with the rifles down hill at a steep incline.The rifle landed about 40 feet farther than I did as I caught a root from a tree,still have that scope today and it works great,my buddys scope didn't fair as well,one of the cross hairs broke.They are durable.I have heard other scopes are just as clear and cheaper too,but I keep coming back to durability.I have broken more non-Leupolds than most folks so I stick with what works for me.I'm more carefull now than I'm alot older and treat my scopes with more respect and I expect my other scopes will mabe last a bit longer,if not they will be replaced by Leupolds.Just an old mans opinion.Which ones are you looking for?Drop-Shot

7. billjr

billjr Guest

Hey Drop-Shot, thanks for the testamonial. I am finally at a place in my life where I can afford to buy quality instead of always looking at price. I really like the look of the VX-II 3-9-50
    http://www.swfa.com/pc-3473-86-leupold- ... scope.aspx
    Swfa.com has these for 379 with free shipping. Seems to be a fair deal. Are there any other Leupold models I should be looking at? This is primarily going to be used for elk.

Thanks

Bill, Jr

8. nyrackaddict

nyrackaddict Guest

My last hunting rifle had a variXIII 2-10x50 The glass was very clear &bright but I hated the high mount required for the 50mm objective. There will be no noticable difference in light transmission if you go w/ a 40 or even a 30mm obj. I had a 1-4x20mm vx-1 on a gun I hunted w/ last year and could aim clearly well after legal shooting light in thick woods.The scope will also be cheaper and look much better mounted low. I think you can get a varixII or III 2-7x30 for under 400$

9. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

I'm with NYRA on the objective,too much math for me.I like 40mm and lower as I can mount with low rings on most rifles,the closer to the bore the better for me,you may feel differently.Kelsey has the VXlll 2-8X36 for 399.00 at www.luvtohunt.com and does layaway,thats my next scope for me.If the 50mm is what you want then go with your feelings,alot on this forum uses 50mm objectives on their scopes and love them.As far as light transmission I have a Vari X lll 1.75-6X32 I bought from Pat on this forum and I can hunt at night with it if I ever had to,I proved that to a friend that showed me 6 bull elk that were untouchable unless you draw a tag for that area,we watched till dark,my friends scope blacked out and said lets go,I showed him through the Leupold and he was sold on Leupold right there and then,he bought one the next day,I could still see the elk when we slowly slipped out.
    Try a 50 on a rifle from a friend and see how it feels before you buy,it throws balance off for me others says it completes the balance for them,everyone is built different.The 50 will gather a tad more light at dawn or dusk but I never needed that,I can still shoot before legal hours and after legal hours so I never needed a 50mm,you may feel differently and if you will shoot extreme distances the 50 may be a better choice for you.This is just my opinion and listen to all other opinions as the more opinions you have the better choice you can make.I have 9 Leupolds and love all of themJust promise to let us know what you get and take a pic if possible.Take care.Drop-Shot

10. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:D I agree with Drop-Shot and Uglydog. Unless a guy is going with a specialized long range rig, the 3-9 is about perfect. It has enough power for longer shots, and is light enough and compact enough to not through the balance off of you rifle. I have rifles 6.5-20 powers & 4.5-14. While I hunt big game with some of them, they are specialzed pieces. My old .300 that I have used from 1971 has worn different scopes. Right now it has the one I started with years ago. A 3-9 Leupold. It is one of the old ones and I had dots put in it from 200 to 600 yards. But for elk, deer, bear, it is about perfect. :lol: The other scope that I liked about as well was an old 4-12 Leupold. I left it for a tip for my guide in Africa, and have missed it ever since. But for most of my hunting the 3-9 is about perfect. When I finish my .340 I have a nice 3-9 leupold with an o/a that I will put on it. I doubt I ever need anything else. :wink:

11. wwb

wwb Super Member

I match the quality, toughness, and magnification to the task at hand....

My 10/22 has an old Bushnell Banner fixed 2.5X

My .223 Savage Range Queen (easy life, near zero recoil) has a cheap simmons 6-18x50 on it

Ruger 44 mag lever gun wears a 2-7x32 Nikon

Ruger M77 .30-06 has a 3-9x40 Leupold

Never a problem with any of them.... but I doubt the Bushnell or the Simmons would stand up to the recoil of the .44 or the 06

12. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

The Burris Euro Diamond 3X10X40 is the best scope I have ever used at any price. They run about $390.00-$450.00 from natchez, Midsouth, Midway...It would be perfect for a 300 Weatherby. I just put one on my FN 98 mauser action Sako in 375 Wby.

Sako used an FN action from 1955 to 1957 to build rifles in 375 H&H. I sure wish they had continued that line in the 375! The CRF FN is far better than the push feed Sako for a DG rifle, IMO.

OH!... back to scopes...I just got a Burris FFII 4.5X14 that is a GREAT BUY for the money. It can be found for $300.00, shipped with an added Phlip-made 12X24 spotting scope that isn't too bad. The scope is excellent.

13. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Before I had to sell it,my Interarms 300WM wore a Tasco 3x9. I never had any problems with this particular scope. It was an older scope and was of better quality than the ones now made.

LUV2,
    The Interarms wasn't a push feed. It had a real bolt on it. Big,heavy and it had a claw down the side of it.

HWD

14. billjr

billjr Guest

Thanks for all the advice guys. The more I look at it, I think I like the 3x9x40 leupold VXII.
    Can anybody tell me the main difference between the VXII and the VXIII?
    I can get the 3x9x40 VXII for $299 and the 2x8x36 VXIII for $399 or the 3.5x10x40 VXIII for $469.
    Is the VXIII worth 100-169 more than a VXII.

Thanks

15. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

I have both the 3.5-10x40 VXIII and the 2-8x36 VXIII and have been nothing but happy with them. My best friend hunts a VX II and 3-9x40 and is as equally satisfied. My latest rifle will get a VXIII as soon as I can arrange it.

On a 300 Weatherby I would personally have a 3.5-10x40. If you wanted to take a really long poke like the Weatherby is famous for the extra magnification isn't going to hurt you one bit. I'm also guessing this isn't a DG rifle and it probably has a 24 or 26" barrel so up close woods work isn't really the thing either- I'd skip a lower power scope. The last VXII I looked at didn't have click adjustments either- it isn't an issue unless your dialing in for a really long shot and are adjusting the elevation dial. (heck, I don't do this but some folks are in love with a target turret...)

You can only make the decision yourself but my advice is that long after the price is forgotten you'll still be shooting with that scope!

16. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

I have both the 3.5-10x40 VXIII and the 2-8x36 VXIII and have been nothing but happy with them. My best friend hunts a VX II and 3-9x40 and is as equally satisfied. My latest rifle will get a VXIII as soon as I can arrange it.

On a 300 Weatherby I would personally have a 3.5-10x40. If you wanted to take a really long poke like the Weatherby is famous for the extra magnification isn't going to hurt you one bit. I'm also guessing this isn't a DG rifle and it probably has a 24 or 26" barrel so up close woods work isn't really the thing either- I'd skip a lower power scope. The last VXII I looked at didn't have click adjustments either- it isn't an issue unless your dialing in for a really long shot and are adjusting the elevation dial. (heck, I don't do this but some folks are in love with a target turret...)

You can only make the decision yourself but my advice is that long after the price is forgotten you'll still be shooting with that scope!

17. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

Re: re: Which scope for a 300 Weatherby mag?

I've had several Interarms rifles in 375 H&H, and they were real bargains! Both worked right and were very accurate...so I sold them. :roll: :roll: :oops:

I think the 3X9 Leupold is the World's all around scope. You wouldn't go wrong with it. I have five of them of various vintages, and all have worked without a single flaw of any kind. And, some have been on heavy caliber scope-eaters. I also like the VX II series 2X7 and the VX III or VariX III 2.5X8 and have several of each of these on 300 Wbys, 338 Win and 375 H&H.

Leupolds are reliable!!! :D

18. billjr

billjr Guest

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I ended up getting a Leupold VXII 3x9x40. All I can say is wow. I used to think my tascos and simmon's and swift's were just as good. People were paying all that extra money just for the name brand. Well I was wrong. Mounted the Leupold on my weatherby and took turns looking through that and a Swift 3x9x40 scope I have on a Ruger M77. The leupold was brighter and had a crisper image, especially at the edges. It is also a better looking scope.

Well I am very happy and plan on outfitting all my other rifles with Leupolds as soon as I can afford it.

Thanks

Bill, Jr

19. Capt Gary

Capt Gary Guest

I have Winchester Classic Stainless Model 70 in .300 Weatherby.
    It was stocked by HS Precision and wears a Leupold VarX III 4.5 X 14. Scope has performed perfectly for over 12 yrs. It is mounted in the now discontinued Warne Premier bases and rings.

The rifle really likes the 180gr. Barnes TSX bullets.
    I will not go into loads. You can buy them factory loaded or there are dozens of good handloads out there. This bullet has performed perfectly on everything it has come in contact with from groundhogs to moose.

With this rig I have hunted all over the US and Canada and never felt underguned/overgunned for anything that I hunted.

It's at home wherever it goes.

20. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

Capt Gary thanks for the Barnes TSX recomendation,I have used the Barnes X-Bullet 180 gr 300 weatherby mag for many years now with super results,now I'll get the nerve up to try the TSX bullet,I have the .30 cal 165 gr,168 gr and 180 gr TSX on hand that I used for the 30/06,now I'll try them in the 300 weatherby mag.
    Welcome to the best site on the web,your experience shows and will be welcomed by all on this site.Post often.Drop-Shot