An Opinion, The Ultimate Rifle-North American Big Game

Discussion in 'Rifle Talk' started by Ruger 77, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Ruger 77

Ruger 77 Guest

This is just theoretical at the moment, but I've considered doing this. Below is my opinion, and I'd like to hear yours. What would you do to build the ultimate North American big game rifle?

Rifle: Remington 7600 Carbine
    Barrel: 18 1/2" With Sights
    Caliber: .30-06
    Stock: Synthetic
    Finish: Dura Coat whole gun, including stock
    Scope: Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40
    Rings: Weaver See Through so you can use open sights as backup.
    Sling: Nylon, fully adjustable

I've always thought that this would be pretty much ideal, possible exceptions being the great bears, elk at long range, and perhaps pronghorn. For the majority of hunting, at least in the south, where shots are generally inside 200 yards, I can't think of anything better. You've got a light, handy rifle chambered in a powerful cartridge. With the full magnification, there's no animal within 300 yards that's safe.This is an opinion, so, no flaming, just post your idea of the ultimate big game rifle and why you think so.

R77

2. wwb

wwb Super Member

I'd go along with the .30-'06 caliber, but after that we pretty much part company.

I'd get a Savage 114 American classic, and top it with a Leupold 1.5-5X or 2-7X. Maybe a set of Leupold QD mounts, with an additional 3-9X or 4-12X scope for out west. Forget the see-through mounts.... I tried them once upon a time, and you can put 'em where the sun don't shine. Also tried the Weaver pivot mounts..... not as bad as the see-through mounts, but I'll pass on them, too.

Nice blued steel and nice walnut stock.

Sling? I carry a leather carry strap with QD swivels in my fanny pack, and the only time there's a sling on my rifle is when I'm dragging a deer.

3. Ruger 77

Ruger 77 Guest

I considered the QD mounts, and if I could get them to return to zero when remounted, I'd definitely put them over the see thorughs, which sometimes have problems with stability in addition to always causing bad cheek weld because they're too high. Honestly, I'd be very tempted to skip the scope all together and put on an arpeture sight, becuase it's plenty accurate out to 250 yards where most game is shot. The main problem with them is shooting in low light, where you need the brightest picture you can get, and within about 30 minutes of pitch black on either side of the day, a scope will be significantly brighter than you can see with your naked eye.

R77

4. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

I'll throw my .02 in although due to inflation its only worth about .005 now...

I like my .300 WSM in the Nosler rifle. Kevlar stock and Cerakote finish. Low powered variable (1.5-5x) although I wish for a simple fixed 4x. A low powered variable is likely a better choice in the tangly stuff where close range is possible and 5x will still make 300 yard shots. Weighs 7.5 lbs ready to go.

I mainly hunt Alaska now and I've all but forgotten the fixed sight. A lot of trouble to retrofit on a rifle and more expensive than a back up scope in QD mounts. I like shooting irons but a 1.5x scope is probably more reliable and faster with aging eyesight.

5. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

My vote as an all around rifle for N America would be a good bolt rifle in 338 Win with a 2.5-8 Leupold VXIII. It would have a good set of iron sights and be made in stainless steel with a grayed mat finish. It has the horses for elk, moose, bears, and it will shoot flat enough for open country hunting.

I have mine sighted in at 300 yards with 225 Nosler Accu Bonds, and I would be hard pressed to call any other in my war chest better for North America.

A good bolt gun in 300 Win or Wby would be a close second...REAL close. :wink:

6. 260rem

260rem Super Member

Not a bad choice, a mate has on and it's a great rifle, I just got into the Blaser system myself, one rifle many applications and many calibers to choose from.

7. wwb

wwb Super Member

Re: re: An Opinion, The Ultimate Rifle-North American Big Ga

Try the Leupold mounts...... remove the scope and put it back on, and your zero is right where it oughta be. If there's any shift at all, it's less than the group size.

8. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

I've no interest in bears so my Wby Vanguard in 300WM pretty much fills the bill for me if I have to pick one. I'd rather have refined tools tailored for each game species than one single gun/cartridge to do it all.

9. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

300WM in a boltgun of some sort topped with a good quality 3x9 or higher.

Ruger,
    I've seen too many cases of those see-thru thangs twisting with every shot. A good solid set of mounts may suit you better or the tip offs mentioned above.

HWD

10. Ruger 77

Ruger 77 Guest

I don't actually have a gun with the See throughs on it. I've shot a buddies .270 that has them, though. The thing he likes about it is that you can zero them for two different ranges. Say, the open sights at 100 and the scope at 300. That way, inside of 100 yards, you can use the open sights and not overshoot the target close in. It seemed to me that this would be a bigger deal for squirrel hunters using .22's, but it was his gun, so he's free to do what he wants. For scope mounts that I've got, it's Ruger scope rings on my 77, Weaver's on the 740, and the red dot that I've got scout-mounted on my Mosin is just on a Weaver rail.

R77

11. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

I have a real problem picking a "ultimate" rifle for all of North America. This is my opinion on the topic from my experiences.

I have hunted mostly deer in PA, so my bias is toward a short, light weight gun. I've hunted with a Win Mod 70 Light Weight in .243. It has a skinny 18" barrel with a forearm that isn't much bigger to hang onto than the barrel itself. While I've had a lot of success with that gun over the years, it's not ideal. The forearm needs to be a little bigger and it wouldn't hurt to throw a little bigger chuck of lead.

I've also hunted with a .308 Rem 760 somewhat like what is described above, but with the full 22" barrel, a 3-9x40 Nikon on Weaver rings/mounts. I've not used this one enough yet for it to be completely "instinctive" to get off a snap shot at close range, but it has potential. Its down side is that it is just a tad on the heavy side. Regardless, I plan to use this one next season.

This past year I used my Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in 300wby topped with a 5-15x40 Mil-Dot Bushnell. This has a 24" barrel and I'm plenty comfortable with shooting it and it definately has enough "horsepower" to handle any thing on the contental USA. My problem with this gun is that I'm not real quick with getting on target for a quick, snap shot. This is a very good 100+yd gun, but inside of that, I think something shorter and a hair lighter is better.

12. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:lol: While there is nothing wrong with the 06 for north Am. You mentioned the ultimate rifle. L2S went with the .338, several went with the various .300's, and of course the old 06. Having fooled with all of them, I would go for the the .300's. Less recoil than the .338 and flatter traj. than the old '06. I had a sheep permit in '91 for bighorns here in Wy. It could easily be the only sheep permit I will ev er draw in this state or inmy life. I wanted to be sure I would have all the cards in my favor. I loaded 150 Nosler BTBT at just over 3400fps. With a 3 " high line of sight it dropped less than 2 feet at 500 yards. Due to a massive die off the winter before, where we should have found 40 rams, we found about a dozen. The shot was a long one, but simple due to a solid rest and my guide had shot from there before. If I ever go for big bear, if the country is open at all, I would go with 200 grain Noslers and be comfortable. I have shot very few antelope with this rifle, but if I knew I had a chance at a book head or only a couple days to hunt, it is the one I would pick. A very close second might be a 7mm Wea. To me all the super 30's are pretty close. While my .340 has lots to offer for really big stuff, I will take far more medium game animals than brown bears, so I would stick with the .300's :wink:

13. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:lol: Something else I would like to add before I forget. There are several writers that often make it appear that the .300's are only used by poor sports. To make up for some lack of skill. Most of the pro. writers, get all kinds of freebe's in the form of guns, hunts, etc. also they must write to suit the editor of the magazine. I have also noticed when these clowns get a chance to go for a special animal, maybe one in a lifetime deal, usually go for a .30 cal. mag. One of these fellows is always pumping up the 06 or .257 Roberts, but when he had a chance for a mulie in old Mexico, he took a .300 Wea, with 150 grain handloads to have the flattest shooting rifle he could come up with and have lots of power. Talk about a phoney:cry: :oops: :wink:

14. hodgeman

hodgeman Guest

On the subject of calibers I have to agree with WCH. While we all have our pets the most prominent workhorses tend to be the .300 or .338 mags. I've only had a .300 for a little while but I'm enthralled with it. I'm not sure that its any more deadly on game but the flat trajectory and excellent accuracy makes hitting a good deal easier over varied terrain. Lots of the the old timers like Elgin Gates used almost nothing else to hunt the world. The "one gun" for Alaska is almost invariably a .338WM or .300 Mag.

15. luv2safari

luv2safari Moderator

As I've become more of a meat hunter in later years, I tend to like bigger bores with less velocity. I blew craters in animals with my German Wby Mk V 300 , bought new in 1969, for many years. I gravitated to 35 Whelens and several 9,3 mm rounds, and have been liking the 338 more and more. I DON'T relish the recoil, however. :shock:

In a 300 mag I would want something with a fast enough twist to get 220gr bullets shooting right. Anything here can be killed as dead as needed by a 300, and well designed ones that are highly accurate make for great sheep, goat, and antelope rifles. With 180, 190, 200, or 220 gr bullets, an 300 of any flavor...Win, Wby, H&H, Norma, or any of the others are plenty of gun for what walks over here.

The question refers to all of North America, I believe, and in that, we need to keep in mind things that bite back. :p

16. bbanbury

bbanbury Super Member

I would take a stainless synthetic stocked bolt gun with a solid durable mid-range scope, in either 300 Win mag or possibly the .338 Federal (as a non-mag choice). I would load down the 300 Win Mag for most of my hunting; up for elk, moose, and long shots out west.

17. DKA

DKA Well-Known Member

Not sure that I would classify it ultimate or not, but if could have only 1 rifle for all types of hunting, it would be the 7mm Rem Mag. in 700 Remington SPS with Leupold bases and rings with Nikon glass.

18. j870sm

j870sm Well-Known Member

I have an old 760 carbine in 30-06. It was my very first deer rifle. I bought it used from a friend of mines dad for $100 (just what I had). It didn't have a scope on it when I bought it but I added one and mounted it on see thru mounts. I never had a problem with the mounts, the gun was and still is really accurate. The Bushnell scope that I put on it gave up long ago. This gun no longer wears a scope, it sports iron sights and is quite the hog gun. Quick handling, hits hard and is accurate. I have taken countless white tail with it, several mule deer, more coyotes than I can possibly remember and even a couple of cougars.

I could live with the idea of this being my ultimate big game rifle in the states if I could only have one.
    I prefer the 7mm mag over the 30-06 and that is what I shoot most all of the time. I have a 257 Wby that is simply a joy to shoot and it is boringly accurate out to 350.

19. vicv

vicv Guest

i'd take my m1a1 in .308. all kinds of power as 60 years ago it was powerful enough to take all NA big game so i'm sure it still is and the magnum isn't needed. don't get me wrong they're fun and i like them but not necessary. gives me a chance for a quick follow up shot if necessary and plenty accurate for hunting.

20. greensock

greensock Guest

I recently purchased what is to me, at least for now, the ultimate NA rifle. Remmy 700, 300 RUM, trued and lightened action by McWhorter's, custom lilja barrel, McMillan Edge stock, Kahles 3.5-10x50, 7.7 lbs loaded, with scope and claw sling.

I also like the 338 win mag.