What do you all think of the .22 Win Mag?

Discussion in 'Small Bore' started by pigeonhunter, Jul 6, 2004.

1. thumbuster

thumbuster Super Member

When I drop the .22 Mag cylinder into my Ruger Single Six I feel as if I'm pretty well armed. That thing shoots hard! I often carry it as a defensive gun.

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

Way back when (the mid 70's) I was 16 and worked all spring and summer on our farm raising chickens and selling the eggs locally for spending money. Let me tell you that was $100 earned the hard way if you hate chickens and cleaning eggs for sale. Eggs just don't emerge all sparkly-like from the chicken, if you know what I mean. Anyway, used that Ben Franklin to buy a new Colt New Frontier .22LR/.22WMR, I still have it in the safe. That fall I took it coon hunting one night with my brother & cousin, and his dog treed one for us. I had the .22WMR cylinder in with 40 grain hollowpoint winchesters, drew on him with the front sight right between his glowing eyes. That thing went off like like a Howitzer, or at least it sounded like it to us. Coon came down out of the tree stone cold dead minus his face. I liked the .22WMR all right after that!

3. thumbuster

thumbuster Super Member

Great story, thar Pat T. Two days ago a racoon stood up and looked at us through my dinning room window. He lives underneath my deck. Tossed a few moth balls down there and today I think he's gone. I'd kinda hate to pop a cap on him. He's no pet however.

We used to hunt cougars around here with dogs and when we still could we kept the population down. We shot them with .22's generally. Now the liberals have made it illegal and we have cougars showing up in people's yards chewing on their pets. When one takes a kid I figure we'll change the law. What a shame. Too bad for the kid.

4. thumbuster

thumbuster Super Member

Re: re: What do you all think of the .22 Win Mag?

Man, you must have a lot of liberals in your government. So many of us do. So do we here in Oregon. The fishing regs are so complicated that no one understands them. One part of the river will be catch and release with barbless hooks, another will be keep and eat and then down stream a few miles it'll change again. So no one is clear as what to do. This year, however there are no fish, so it really doesn't matter.

5. clampdaddy

clampdaddy Member

I have three and love them all. I've often heard about their reputation for being inaccurate but the last rifle I bought put that notion to rest for me. It's a heavy barreled Savage and off the bench it will shoot right alongside any of my .17's and most of my centerfire rifles. My first .22 mag was a marlin and it shot well for the first five gallon bucket worth of shells but now its about a 2.5 moa rifle. Don't know why. The bore still looks pristine but she just won't shoot like she used to.