Single shot pistol for hunting?

Discussion in 'Thompson/Center' started by Zerbe, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

I've been looking at the scoped TC Encore in .308 as a possible short range deer hunting tool. 8)

Has anyone here had any real world experience using something like this in the woods?

It looks like a nice, light, convenient, thing to carry, but I'm not sure how they are to point/shoot at game. :?

2. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:wink: Zerbe, I like pistols and revolvers, but the T/C single shot always amazed me that anyone would buy one. A pal had one, and he said all he did was hunt for a tree to get a rest on before shooting. :evil: I feel like Elmer Keith, a pistol should be a weapon of opportunity. And there is no sense in trying to make a pistol into a rifle. :? I have shot some game with a sixgun and enjoy it, but the chance for a cripple must always be in mind. With a single shot, it would be even worse. I often carry one of my sixguns while hunting and if a shot comes along I can make, I take it. I Know I would much prefer a nice S & W 4 " in 44 to any single shot bend in the middle firearm. :evil: With a nice warm .44 sp. load, it will make those close shots on whitetails like you got last fall a challenge, but you still have the option of having your rifle in case of a big buck or a longer shot. :wink:

3. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:lol: Zerbe, one other thought I meant to include, and that is I think the T/C "pistol" made a go because folks read of Elmer 's hunting exploits with a pistol, and wanted to hunt with a pistol too, but due to their lack of skill with a handgun, this was and easy way to be a handgun hunter with out much pratice. :cry: Typical of most folks in todays society. NO OFFENCE INTENDED TO YOU. But I see this with all the junk people buy to hunt with. Look at bow hunting, I can't be part of this, but Fred Bear hunted with normal clothing and a recurve bow. Now guys talk about the "difficulty" of bow hunting and the amout of stuff they buy from clothing to special range finders is something else. :cry:

4. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Zerbe,

I had a 7-08 barrel and a 44 mag barrel for mine. You couldn't shoot the 7 without wearing both plugs and muffs if you wanted to keep your hearing. The 44 wasn't near as bad but close. I've got medium sized hands but the grips never fit my hands and the gun would twist sideways when you shot it. Mine wore the wood grips. I've been told, but never tried, the synthetic grips. They're a slimmer design and are checkered to help with hanging on to it.

Portability depends on the carrier. This thing is a lot heavier than you think. I had a shoulder holster rig for mine. Some folks add sling swivels and carry it that way.

I tried shooting mine off hand, but ended up toting shooting sticks everywhere. If you have good upper body strength and strong wrists, you may be able to get by.

If handgun hunting is something you want to try, I'd get a revolver. A 44 mag or 45LC would fit the bill just fine. I prefer a single action to a double action, but that's just me.

HWD

5. hoghunting

hoghunting Super Member

I'm probably the odd-guy here, but I enjoy hunting with my Contender in 7-30 Waters and .223. The Contender is significantly smaller and lighter than the Encore, but it isn't chambered in all the calibers as the Encore. Both of my barrels are 14" with the 223 using the Burris 3X-9X and the 7-30 has the Burris 2X-7X. Recoil is not a problem in either, but in the field, I do insert ear plugs before shooting. I also insert ear plugs before shooting my rifles while hunting also.

I use shooting sticks or brace against a tree, and I can't complain about accuracy. With the 7-30 I have taken deer out to 150 yds, and quite a few hogs out to 200 yds. They went down just a quickly as being hit by a non magnum round from a rifle. I have taken crows out to 300 yds with the 223.

My Contender has the synthetic stocks and is very comfortable to shoot. I carry it in a bandolero holster across the chest, and carry my shooting sticks. I slip on my backpack, and I'm ready to go.

I probably should have started this posting with the fact that I shot Hunter's Pistol matches for 2 years. These are matches shot offhand at metal silhouettes at distances of 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters - (27-110 yds). I used my Contender with a 10" 357 barrel and a Leupold 4X scope.

6. Zerbe

Zerbe Super Member

Thank you all for the great responses to this.

Some more info that I should have included in my original post is that I have two teen age kids that I hunt with and most often am there to point out what to do for one or the other of them to get the shot. Another is that I was looking at this as a "inside 50-60yd" deer slayer. Yes, another alternative I was considering for that range was a a revolver in either .357 or 44mag. I've not had the chance to hold one of the 14" barrelled Encores, but I do realize that it would be like holding up a short barrelled rifle with no butt stock. This is precisely why I was asking for real world opinions here.

I was also wondering about muzzle blast from these things. I have a relative that has a Contender in 45/70 that he describes as his "fugzat" gun. I heard second hand a story about him having it at a range where there was someone shooting without ear protection. Prior to firing the 45-70, he recommended to this person to at least cover his ears. After being assured that this person has shot high powered rifles for years with needing ear protection, he went ahead and took one shot at the target. The guy turned around in pain and yelled "Hey, what the Fug-Zat?".... :shock:

7. rudybro

rudybro New Member

Is pistol good for hunting? I've been a hunter for a year, and I never used a pistol for hunting.