Roots bloody roots!!!

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Brazilviking, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Have anyone here tried to make a slingshot from a rubber tree?
    I've found an imense one (I pass by it 6 times a day....) on the street of my home. Problem: it is HUGE!!!
    But the interesting stuff is that it has tentacles-shaped roots that come from the higher forks. So I thought about taking one big fork from the roots exposed.
    The tree bleeded a lot of latex milky emulsion during the cuts. (Don't worry, it wil survive!).
    But maybe it will not be agood wood. Seemed very soft!
    It will take a long time to dry it....and I'll get killed if I microwave it!

Attached Files:

2. Brazilviking

Attached Files:

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Interesting project!
    Love the Sepultura reference too:D

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I have always thought of what it is made of how you make it etc and that stuff :)

Want to harvest some and open bviking's rubber etzy shop :D

J

5. artons

artons New Member

intresting!
    good luck with that big fork

6. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

No i never tried it, because the rubberwood trees you can get in Germany are thin as little fingers.:D

7. Brazilviking

Here I just can't reach the forks!!!! 15 meters tall, roots breaking the sidewalk!!! A monster!

Attached Files:

8. Tysonspapa

Tysonspapa New Member

Ive Made One of hevea, but i think yours is a diffrent Kind of rubber tree.

9. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

It's a huge tree.You're living in a realy nice country. I never was there and only saw some documentations on tv. The company i'm working for has a plant in Brazil. Maybe one day, i've a chance to see it.But if i was traveling for the company, i've mostly seen the airport and the plant.

10. Brazilviking

I've seen it! Very nice one! There are many species of hevea here, this one that I've used is not good for rubber. Actually there is only one or two species good for latex industry, but they all have the local name of "seringueira".
    The industrial rubber trees doesn't have this alien looking roots, just a straight high truncheon.

11. Brazilviking

Let me know if you come to São Paulo, and maybe I can be our tourist guide for a little time! At least I won't let you be robbed or cheated!:)

12. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I'm looking forward to this! The tree looks very funny... more like big solid wires and hoses than wood trunks...

13. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Look great, I´m looking forward to your finished Slingshot :D

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

your own secret microwave in the cellar might be a solution. ;)

maybe there's a way to harden/dry out the milky sap in the roots with chemicals too? or will it become a rubber baton? heheh :D

15. Brazilviking

I would be amazing. That milk looks like wood glue! It ruined my pants:eek:!

16. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

sadly i'm no expert in chemistry. that was the reason why my grandpa took the chemistry set he gave me away from me right after some "special" experiments. :D

17. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

If I had a piece of that wood I would do an experiment cooking in a microwave oven to "cure" the latex inside, maybe it enhances it's mechanic properties ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

18. Brazilviking

Maybe I'll have to make it secretly......... :D:D:D

19. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

The best way is let it dry naturally let rain fall and all condishons I had some sort of wood chopped in the garden and it had that same thing (milky stuff) and now when I cut it nothing comes out!

Drying is the way to go !! But your files etc will get a bit sticky :(

J

20. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

ha ha "vulcanized" wood ... hey be careful short cycles and vent, maybe it let out explosive volatiles ?
    Cheers
    Arturo