Pre 64 Model 94

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by Captn66, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

Went to a gun show yesterday. Lots of the usual beat up, over priced stuff. But there were some good stuff if you could wade and pick through the crap. I came across this little gem ... I think I did OK on it price wise. The bluing is almost perfect (although I did manage to put a scratch in the top of the barrel on the way home yesterday) uggghhhh!! :evil:

Wood is good too

This is going to be my new "walk em up" deer rifle. I'm just going to leave it as is with the iron sights. Not going to add a scope or anything to it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mfg in 1954 according to the serial number ...

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

That is one of the nicest stocks I've seen on a 94, Cappy, nice score! Good choice staying with the iron sights. My cousin had a 94 that was scoped using those side of the receiver mounts, looked goofy.

3. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

Thanks Pat. Realized it was really made in '59 not '54. Still an old girl regardless.

It certainly doesnt look like its seen many deer drives here in PA. At least not many where its owner did the pushing.

4. hoghunting

hoghunting Super Member

I would have bought that rifle too, Cap. Congratulations. Don't blame you for not wanting to scope it, but a few years ago when I hit 40, peep sights work much better as you don't have to focus on the rear sight. If you don't have a problem with the factory sights, then you're ready to go.

5. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

HH - Funny you mention peep sights. As soon as I told my dad about he asked if it had peep sights. Then he asked if I was going to put them on. He's kinda got a love affair with them & I'd like to put them on something. But I'll probably leave this one untouched though. By the time my eyes make it a necessity - My oldest boy will be ready to shoot it.

6. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

If only they had stuff like that at our gunshows I might be still attending them! After a couple of years with the same stuff(wore slap out) at premium prices, I just quit going...

Congrats on a good find!

HWD

7. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

thanks HWD. Trust me there's tons and tons of junk there. And most of that is over priced - Marked at LNIB prices with fair to good condition. Lots of folks wont even negotiate the price a little. Approx 75 - 80% of it is milsurp. Lots of wading though the non-sense to find something decent, but there were some deals to be found.

Walking around with it after I bought it - I had 3 or 4 folks want to know if it was for sale.

8. Road Rat

Road Rat Well-Known Member

Captn66,

I'm just killing time wandering through the forum and spotted your 94.

Have you got that thing out to the woods after deer yet??

RR

9. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

Sorry RR - haven't been on in awhile ... RL getting in the way of my internet browsing.

My son has been carrying it the past couple deer seasons, but he hasn't had the opportunity to take anything with it yet. He's only getting out a day or so every year for deer because of school and sports and stuff.

I've been taking it with me every year for my pilgrimage to WV. I take it for pushing some stuff but haven't got to blood it yet either. Last year, on the last day we put our little two man push on and I was posted at the end of this hollar that ran back toward the ridge from the road. Right as my buddy got to the end and he looped up & around to come back my direction, he kicked a nicer 8 point out than I shot earlier in the week. Of course I was carrying the model 70 with the scope on it and just couldn't get it up and find the running deer quick enough and make sure I wasn't shooting toward my friend. If I had that open sighted 30-30 ... I'm pretty sure I could've filled both my buck tags ... Well, in my mind anyway :wink: