Choosing Scope Power

Discussion in 'Optics' started by TXWheeledShooter, Sep 19, 2012.

1. TXWheeledShooter

TXWheeledShooter Active Member

Hello everyone,

I am going to be buying a Ruger American Rifle in .308. If I want a scope that will allow me to shoot the rifle up to the distance capability of the cartridge, what power should I get?

Thanks

2. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

TX-

Just a little more info would be helpful, if you want to try 1000 yard bench shooting for fun then probably a good 4-16x with easily adjustable turrets would do it. If you're thinking hunting out to 500 yards then a 2.5-10x or 3-9x should fill the bill. Lots of good scope choices now for a pretty good price, probably for less than you paid for the rifle. Let us know what you have in mind!

3. TXWheeledShooter

TXWheeledShooter Active Member

I would be happy with 500 yds. I have a .270 with a bushnell 3-9X40 on it. With a .308 chambering will that scope make me accurate out to 500 yds?

4. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

IMHO you should be good with a scope that has up to 10x, obviously you can put larger ones on but you start to pay the price in weight and if you need to shoot at close range or in a wooded area the low power setting of a high magnification variable scope may not be low enough.

Let us know how your Ruger shoots for you, I've seen some pretty good reports on this rifle. They have a reputation already of shooting better than their cost would say they should!

5. GrizG

GrizG Member

To a large degree it depends on what you are shooting at... The demands of shooting a prairie dog or woodchuck at 500 yards are different than those of shooting a whitetail, mule deer, elk or moose. I find that with high quality optics the clarity and brightness more than make up for higher magnification in lower quality optics. That said, my .270 wears a Zeiss 3x9x40 and it is perfectly adequate for any place I hunt whitetails. For tighter cover woods hunting two of my rifles wear fixed power Zeiss 4X scopes. Scopes are aiming aids... use binoculars or a spotting scope for spotting, identification and assessment of the game.