45-70

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by TXWheeledShooter, Dec 18, 2010.

1. DisinterestedThirdParty

DisinterestedThirdParty Active Member

The load is out of the Lyman book. I'm using 15gr, which is on the Ruger #1 page, so don't use this in something else. I have used the lighter charges of Unique, starting with the Springfield load and working my way up. This particular load shoots fairly well in this rifle, but YMMV.

I use a wad with what I would call pillow stuffing. I tear off a piece about twice the size of a thumbnail. Charge the case with powder, then I put the wad in. It's fibrous/fluffy, and I shove it down there using a longer Allen wrench. Cap it with the 366gr Lyman and you're good to go.
    As for leaving a gap, if you have the wad in there compare the seating depth of the bullet with the wad height and you'll see there's no gap at all.

Hope this helps...

2. thumbuster

thumbuster Super Member

Thanks, sounds like fun.

3. SundayForever

SundayForever New Member

Absolutely!! If I want to use a 336 30-30, I'm sure that either of my kids would let me borrow one that I got for them for Christmas a few years ago. In fact, I may do just that to get to a point where I can pull up on a target, work the hammer and safety by reflex and put a hole in the appropriate place in my targets.

4. Drop-Shot

Drop-Shot Super Member

5. thumbuster

thumbuster Super Member

The first 45/70 that I shot was an old Trapdoor 1884 model. I made some handloads using Unique. The rifle just went "pop" and the bullet when all over the place. Hit sideways. Since then I've loaded those old trapdoors muskets with Black powder and 500 grain cast bullets and they shoot just fine, and too the sights. The recoil isn't too bad, but much worse if you touch off one of those 500 grainers in a carbine.

Those old Trapdoor muskets are a ball to shoot with BP rounds. You can also shoot 410 shotgun shells in them and folks have shot a lot of old carbines slick shooting shotgun shells in them. Maybe I'll try some 410 slugs in one of my old Trapdoors just for the heck of it. I think they make those 410 slugs don't they?

6. 2fewdaysafield

2fewdaysafield Moderator

They used to make .410 slugs and I assume they still do.