.22 ruger jams how much is too much???

Discussion in 'Semi's' started by rubyshot, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rubyshot

rubyshot Member

Hey guys,
    I recently got a ruger 10/22 in .22 LR. When i first got the gun it would jam like 20 times out a 100 or maybe even more. I called up ruger, sent it back to them...a month later i had it back. Ejector had been replaced.

Now it seems to do fine (1 out of a 100 jam) with remington ammo, but with federal it will jam lets say 11 times out of a hundred and with winchester superx a bit less at 8 out of a 100. The jams tent to be failure to extract after the ammo is fired.

Is this normal?

Another strange thing is the casings when they come out are burning hot. As in they will leave a burn mark and welt if they land on your hand. How normal is this? This is my first .22 so i'm kinda curious as how they're expected to behave.

Thanks in advance!

2. Papadoodles

Papadoodles Super Member

rubyshot,

First, welcome to the shooting world forum. Someone should be along with details (?) on how to solve your problem.

You also will want to take a look here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ it will really make you spend time and money on your 10/22!!! :lol: :lol:

3. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

The shells that jam, are they the ones that come in the 500 count boxes? I've had these go bang, bang, spppt, bang, too many times. Quality ain't all that sometimes where these are comcerned. Get yaself a box of the Winchester HPs that come in the 100 pack and give them a try. Could be a rough chamber also.

Those shells are always gonna be hot! They just had a small explosion inside of them! Wait until one goes down the back of your shirt collar. Folks'll think you done step in a hornets nest and they got in your shorts! Probably be some right colorful langauge flying about too. I saw a rather well endowed young lady get one down the FRONT of her shirt recently while shooting with my 14yr old niece. My niece decided to go change into a teeshirt instead of the shirt/blouse she had been wearing. This gals Daddy and boyfriend couldn't do anything but laugh. Heck they couldn't catch her. I thought I was gonna have to hide my eyes for a minute or 2.

ANYHOO, Hope I helped ya a little. Ya might even have to send it back to Ruger again. If ya do, be sure to tell them what kinds of ammo you've been shooting.

HWD

4. rubyshot

rubyshot Member

Yes these are indeed the 550 or 500 count boxes that come cheap at walmart.

I'll give a try with the other types of ammo and see if it makes a difference. Anything you specifically suggest?

5. Leroyha

Leroyha Well-Known Member

How many magazines do you have for it? Does it jam while using different magazines, or are the jams isolated to one or two? Is it usually the first round or two that jams? I would bet that 99% of jams in a Ruger 10/22 are caused by the mag.....or if you are going through 500 rounds as fast as you can..then crud gets built up on the feed ramp and chamber. I've found most problems arise with high cap mags and quit using them. Don't know why your cases are so hot, I have never been burnt by a 22 empty.Maybe an oversize chamber that lets the gas back around the case? Does your action get super dirty after a few shots?

6. mountainview

mountainview Super Member

How fast are you pulling the trigger? If you are burning through a clip at a fast pace, that may be the cause of the hot brass.

7. rubyshot

rubyshot Member

Hey Guys,
    These ten shot ruger mags (cali). They're factory mags.

They're shot at a normal pace...perhaps 10 in 20-30 seconds if i'm target shooting. As far as getting dirty the gun doesn't get dirty very much. After cleaning it a day or two ago it was amazingly clean after shooting 300-400 rounds.

This jamming happens whether the gun has been just cleaned or or dirty; no difference in the rate of a jam.

One of my friends shot a 9 mm pistol and the round was caught in mid ejection; completely cool to the touch. I'm not quite sure why the .22 which is a smaller round would be so hot.

I'm probably going to call ruger again

8. rubyshot

rubyshot Member

And as far as the magazines go it makes no difference in terms of the order. The magazine that came with the ruger has a higher tendency to jam (its a bit stiffer than the other two) but overall its not really associated with either.

Thanks!

9. Leroyha

What kind of jam are we talking about? Failure to feed the bullet into the chamber? Or "stovepipe" where the case is sticking out the side of the ejection port?I have 3 10/22's and have had more. I smooth up the bolts where they ride the rails and smooth the rails also, they are usually pretty rough from the factory with machine marks and burrs. I'm surprised the factory didn't get it fixed...there isn't a whole lot to these guns.

10. rubyshot

rubyshot Member

It always feeds but i suppose it "stovepipes" where the casing gets stuck. The round is chambered but the bolt isn't allowed to close because of the spent round jammed in there.

11. Leroyha

Hmmmm.....are you using low powered or sub sonic rounds? It sounds like the ejector or extractor isn't kicking the empties out. I had that with Eley target ammo that was weak. Try slicking up the action a little..the face of the hammer also where the bolt slides back to re cock it. I believe somewhere on the net I saw an article about smoothing up the action.

12. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I would suspect this to be an ammo problem as some of the bulk packs are notorious for variable velocities. I also have a couple of 10/22s in the cabinet as well as having had others and found that the latest bulk packs have been kind of hard on them as far as functioning. Winchester Xpert have been the most consistent as of late with the Federal 525 round pack falling in close. The worst have been the Remington "Golden Bullets" with numerous failure to ejects occurring. The latter have been so disconcerting in autos that I now use them for plinking in my revolvers and bolt actions only.
    A different lot number of the above ammo might have very different results so one is pretty much left guessing on what to get. In the past the "Goldens" were very accurate and consistent in some of my 22s which is why I bought a fair amount of it. Now, I expect rather indifferent results from bulk packs and am only surprised when better than average results occur.

13. Leroyha

Wow, I haven't bought 22lr ammo in a long time but always bought the Rem. I did buy a 500 brick of Winchester about 10 years ago that had a lead semi wadcutter 40gr bullet that was very impressive on rabbits. It really thumped them. I find it disconcerting with the quality of the "Big Boys" nowdays. I used to like CCI but they started having big discrepancies in accuracy the last year I shot them. Life is tough enough without having 22lr problems!

14. rubyshot

rubyshot Member

Yeah this is really possible. I'm going to go buy some non-bulk packages and test them out.

For me the best are the remingtons, then the winchesters, then the cci's and federals are just jammers. With those 4-5 shots to a jam ratio.

I'll look up the article on smoothing up the actions and see what i can. Appreciate it greatly!

15. huntswithdogs

huntswithdogs Moderator

Ruby,
    Don't go smoothing until you try the ammo. If you go messing too much, you may be voiding any warranty that you currently have.

You may even contact Ruger and see what ammo they used after they did thier repairs to check it. It may even be listed on your receipt.

HWD

16. Leroyha

Re: re: .22 ruger jams how much is too much???

Good point.

17. remixs22

remixs22 Member

have you tryed cci ammo? it might just be the shell you are using i never had a ruger but i used 1 and i have a brick of thunder bolt i used when me and a family member when target
    and he used fed rounds and i use the thunder bolt witch either miss fire or jam up but in single shot thunderbolts are good but they foul your barrel alot

18. thumbuster

thumbuster Super Member

In my experience the jamming of a 10/22 has to do with the magazines. I have some magazines that jam constantly and others that do not. I've never found cleaning an issue with the little rifle. I think the little shooter would be a better rifle if it had a straight magazine that protruded out the bottom...just like most of the others.