.22 Remington Jet

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by harold50, Feb 8, 2005.

1. harold50

harold50 Active Member

I have a centerfire .22 that was made up from .357 Magnum brass necked down to 22 caliber. The rifle is an old H&R Topper single barrel. I suppose the rifle is very similar to the HR Sportsman offered today. Ballistically it is similar in performance to the .22 Hornet.

I bought a can sometime ago of H110. My old Sierra manual (1976) says that they gave up on developing a load in this powder for this cartridge. Too erratic.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone had any experience loading the Jet with H110?

2. Any experience with 4227 or other powders?

Originally this cartridge was made in the 1950's for a S&W wheelgun but there were cartridge sticking problems and the pistol was discontinued. The rifle I have killed a deer when I was a boy but I would never use it for that now. I have some new brass and want to shoot it again.

Any help is appreciated.

Best Wishes, Harold

2. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I just noticed your post, sorry to not answer sooner. I have a S&W 53 but have done little reloading for it. I used data from Hodgdon's Reloading Manual #27 using H110 and HS-6 with Hornady bullets and IMR 4227 using remington bullets. There is also a recipie using Remington bullets with IMR 4756 but I did not try it. I had good accuracy results with the few loads I tried, about 100 with each load, but fouling was enough to necessitate chamber cleaning every couple of cylinders. With your gun you should not have this problem. The Jet brass was getting brittle by then so I scrapped it all and now shoot 22 LR through it. Sorry to not include load info but I seem to often transpose numbers and letters lately and am worried about doing so again.

3. harold50

harold50 Active Member

Thanks for replying. The Jet is an odd cartridge and I just figured no one on the forum had one.

I'm going to size and load a bunch of new Jet brass this weekend. Maybe I'll get to the range.

Any thoughts about max pressure in an H&R Topper?

I get the idea about transposing numbers.

This project is to create a chuck rifle out of an old rifle that hasn't been shot in a while. It's been to the smith's and we're ready to go.

If the rifle is no more accurate than the H&R Topper in .22 Hornet I once had I can then justify in my mind fooling around with the .17 HMR.

Best wishes, Harold

4. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I have no idea what the pressures may be but I would suspect any of the listed loads would be safe if the gun was given the OK by your gunsmith. Hodgdon did not list a pressure for thier powders if I remember correctly. There were pressures liste with the IMR powder though. My loads were about .3-.5 grs under the max which gave good accuracy in my gun. I've been told this is a trait of these older, lowish velocity calibers but don't have enough experience for a good opinion. I never even thought about the cartridge but an add in the local paper (circulation 1200) caught my eye. $325 laer I walked out with the pistol, wood presentation case, all six inserts for the 22 LR, extra rimfire firing pin, 106 reformed cases, and dies. I may have to form some brass and play with it again.

5. harold50

harold50 Active Member

I'm hopeful of getting out with this rifle this week. I'll let you know what loads appear to be OK for pressure.

Best wishes, Harold

6. harold50

harold50 Active Member

Went to the range this week with the .22 Jet.

Cripes :cry:

Used H110 starting at 10.5 grains and went to 12.

No groups, just patterns - shotgun patterns :shock:

I've read that the old 158 Toppers had large throats so I'll have to set case length to chamber-size as opposed to the OAL listed in the manual.

I once had a Hornet in one of the Toppers that I never could make shoot. I know a little more now than I did then but I didn't want the additional work now. :(

I may have to get a .223 and say to H*** with the neighbors. I really would prefer to keep a lower profile shooting 'yotes at night, though.

If anyone has ideas please speak up?

Best Wishes, Harold

7. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

I know what you mean about noise. My main coyote guns for evening and night in semi-rural use are a 9mm carbine and an old M-1 carbine. They aren't too bad for noise but probably aren't as quite as the Jet from a rifle. I recently picked up a 22 Mag rifle that I've been trying to test on coyotes but they haven't been co-operating. One of these days, I'll get some shots but it is not looking good right now. It is quite a bit quieter than the carbines and I'm using Remington's new 40 gr soft points. I don't like the penetration, or lack there of, of most 40 gr hollow points and my gun doesn't seem to like Federal's 50 gr HPs. Full metal jackets have no expansion and too little shock transfer for clean kills in my experience. It is too difficult to take head shots in low light conditions so I'm hoping these Remingtons are the ticket.

8. harold50

harold50 Active Member

Well – this Topper 158 in .22 Remington Jet has a LOOOONNG throat. I can drop the bullet into the breech and the sized (and unprimed empty) case does not touch the base of that bullet.

I have loaded some .223 (not 224) 45-grain sierras just deep enough into the case to be held steady. First try they wiggled :shock: so I had to set them deeper.

Have taken the old, old Bushnell 3x9 :roll: off and put on a new scope. :lol:

Range date Saturday.

This is it. I want 2” groups at 100 yards or the old girl goes back into the safe for use only with its 20 gauge barrel.

Best wishes,

Harold

9. harold50

harold50 Active Member

Well, I'm back.

Went to the range today with the Jet.

There is improvement. Rather than "patterns" I have vertical stringing. Now we're getting somewhere.

I removed the forearm for all shots. Still stringing vertically. :?

I made sure to rest the rifle under the hinge and allowed the barrel to cool between shooting 5 shot groups.

Since this will be a hunting rifle vertical stringing is not necessarily fatal to the project - but the thought of firing only one or two shots per trip to the range could really slow down load development.

I saw somewhere that light crimping in the .223 stopped vertical stringing. Maybe I need a crimp die?

Maybe I need to move the bullets further back in the case?

I'll let you know - advice welcome.

The local gunsmith suggested weighting the barrel with something heavy, in other words, a chunk of lead formed with a groove for the barrel to rest in, wrapped in cloth, and then clamped into place. He says it might help the "whipping" of the barrel.

Am I getting in too deep? I'm using H110. Time for different powder?

Best wishes, Harold

10. harold50

harold50 Active Member

Have given up. I just don't have the patience to fool any more.

Harold

11. uglydog

uglydog Super Member

Sorry to hear of your success, or lack there of. I still haven't gotten around to sizing any brass for my Jet but it is still a thought in the back of the mind. I think you still have an interesting combination with your gun but too bad you can't get it to work. My only other suggestion (if you wish to hit your head against the wall again) would be to find a light bullet with a sharper ogive. Maybe that would reduce the jump to the rifling abit and give better accuracy. I would probably give up on it like you have but we are talking about messing with your sanity, not mine.

12. harold50

harold50 Active Member

Uglydog,

Thanks for the support.

Someone with more time and patience will do well with this barrel. I'm probably going to post it for sale, maybe on Ebay, I don't know.

I love the concept of a .357 magnum necked down to .22.
    Just can't make it work. I even bought a .22 crimp die only to find out that the rim won't allow the finiched cartridge to enter the die.

Thanks again, Harold

13. harold50

harold50 Active Member

Barrel sold.

With the money I bought an H&R Sportsman in 22 Magnum.
    Does it ever shoot! Have mounted an inexpensive Pine Ridge 2X7 on Weaver high mounts. It likes the Remington 33grain V-MAX.
    Noise level is appropriate.

No, it is not a Hornet or Jet. Can hit a dime at 50 yards, though.

Harold

14. The_Cook

The_Cook Super Member

Well if it's yote hunting the only thing I can recommend is the .17 couple people at the range swear by it, says it enters like a pin hole usually doesn't exit, and puts them down dead.