.22-250 & 8208

Discussion in 'Handloads' started by Captn66, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

Finally got a nice supply of once fired brass for my .22-250 and am going to start loading for it. I need to get a different powder as nothing I currently have looks like a good choice.

What's your favorite?

I was thinking about IMR 8208 XBR ..... Anyone try this yet?

My other thought was Varget ...

I'm planning on using 50 gr Hornady VMax bullets

2. TakeEm

TakeEm Well-Known Member

If it's not too late H380 is very popular in the .22-250. Also good results with H414 but both of these do not produce the top velocity as the newer powders do. ~3700 fps

Varget and Benchmark are also very popular and produce more velocity. ~3900+ fps

The published data on 8208 looks impressive. Have not tried it or know anyone that has. :mrgreen:

3. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

I also asked this question over at Shotgunworld and based on that .... What I decided was to try both H380 and 8208 .... my cousin is also starting on .22-250 loads and he bought Varget. So between our three powders and various different types of bullets we each have - we should find something that shoots well.

Now that Snow Goose season is done - I'm going to start on this little project soon.

4. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Wyo. Coyote Hunter Super Member

:) 66, I haven't been at the site for quite a while..if you haven't bought powder yet..what other calibers do you load for???? One thing to keep in mind, with the cost of todays components, it might be best to get a powder that will work well in different calibers..Honestly I am not up on the powder you mentioned..I bought a bunch of stuff before I retired and have only added to those supplies..for the .22-250 I love H 4895...it also works well in the .223, 06, and 45-70's..Just a thought..good luck and let us know how the project turns out...say where do you hunt snow geese in Pa.????? this spring my girl friend and I were coming home to Wy. and thru Neb. there were MILLIONS of snows and other geese....

5. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

WCH - I ended up getting both H380 and IMR 8208. Here's a little blurb about 8208 .... The Hodgdon manual from 2010 had a few articles about it and that really got my interest in it. http://www.imrpowder.com/8208xbr.html There seems to be a fairly wide range of applications for it where I can at least use it up on plinking rounds if it performs badly in the .22-250. I'm also loading for .270 and .300 WM and they list loads for with lighter bullets for both of those calibers. I'm also going to start loading .30-06 here soon, but just haven't yet.

Just yesterday, I loaded up a dozen or so shells of 38, 38.5, and 39 gr of H380. Later this week or next I'll get some with 8208 loaded up and hopefully try them soon.

We hunt Snows out near the Middlecreek refuge area along the Lebanon/Lancaster border. We have the Greater Snow Goose here as opposed to the Lessers that migrate from Texas up through Missouri and Nebraska and the Dakotas. I would love to get out to Missouri some year and try them out there some time. At the peak of the migration here in PA we get maybe 100,000 birds staging out of the Middlecreek refuge and THAT is impressive, but I imagine its nothing compared to the numbers of birds like what you saw. Our season is pretty short around here - three weeks of good hunting is about all we get before the birds push through to NY.

6. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

:D 66, thanks, if you LOVE goose hunting, you owe yourself a trip to the mid west when the snows are in...I know nothing about hunting them..all of my goose shooting has been at Canadians..but the sheer numbers of birds make any hunters heart go wild...I have been though both Missouri and Neb. and about the same time, but the birds are NOT always as thick as we saw them this season...but as a goose hunter, I am sure you know that....

7. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

I'd give up hunting Canadas forever and only hunt Snows if made to pick just one. It does take a lot of work to run a good snow rig but totally worth it IMO when you do it right and get them to tornado in on you. Nothing I've ever experienced in hunting (including shooting deer) comes close to that experience when the birds really do IT.

If you're in PA in late Feb/early March and want to give it a try for a day or two - let me know - I can get you hooked up with an outfitter friend of mine that I guide for a few days a week during the season. I will get to MO some year ... just got to figure out the logistics of juggling the real job / wife / young kids / guiding for them in PA :lol:

8. Wyo. Coyote Hunter

66, thanks..I will keep this in mind...

9. Captn66

Captn66 Moderator

Tried some of the loads that I had for this recently. I stuck with the 55gr vmax bullet and just played with the powder charge. The best performing group was 39 gr of H380 at approx .6 inches. I also shot groups with 38 & 38.5 gr of powder. Interesting enough the 38.5 grain group performed the worst ... Way over an inch.

I also shot one group with some 8208 ... Which performed well just not as well as the h380 but in fairness i only tried one charge ... I may still play with it some more as I really enjoy shooting this gun & am interested to see if I can get any better out of it.

10. Pat T

Pat T Moderator

If you find a powder charge weight that looks promising you can try tweaking the bullet seating depth a little, Capt. You just might dial it right in!