ShootingWorld.com

Welcome to the ShootingWorld Rifle Forum!
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: trigger work on a Browning BLR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:26 am 
.50 Caliber

I would like to work on my trigger to take the rough feeling and hard pull out,do I take the whole lever out?Drop-Shot

Post subject: re: trigger work on a Browning BLR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:14 pm 
.223 cal

On a BLR I am willing to pay someone instead of DIY'ing
I hear great things from Zhat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:45 pm 
.50 Caliber

Is that the name of a gunsmith?If so where is he and how can I contact him?If I take something apart I can fix it.If I had a detailed schematic I wouldn't hesitate but without one I would be too uncomfortable to do it.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:59 am 
.223 cal

http://www.z-hat.com/
here is a link.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:02 am 
.50 Caliber

Thanks hairtrigger,I sent an email.I have done several trigger jobs on several rifles,on one I went too far and the trigger became unsafe,had to replace it with a Timiny so I have learned the hard way of not going too far.I use a knife stone now and not a file and keep the breakover fairly sharp but I have never worked on the BLR yet.If I can get a detailed schematic I would go ahead and do it myself I think but then again the lever is part of the trigger on the BLR and thats expensive to replace so I just may have it done.Thanks.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 am 
.50 Caliber

Hey Hairtrigger did you notice on the "How to make rifles more accurate" section he stressed lapping the barrel to take maching rough spots out?He mentioned that hand lapping is done for better accuracy,less fouling and better velocitys.He still recommends breaking in a barrel but lapping makes it alot less of a time consuming job.Some on this site scoff at the idea of lapping a barrel and out right say its not needed,some premium barrel makers lapp their barrels before shipping and others don't,they charge 110.00 to hand lapp barrels,I have been lapping my own barrels since about 1975.I was glad to hear a professional gunsmith say its important.Couldn't sleep so at 3:30 this morning I checked the web on BLR trigger adjustment,there is an adjustment screw but super hard to get to,I'll take a small screw driver and bend it to adjust it first,if the rough feeling is still there I will send it in to him,they say getting the timing on the BLR is super hard.Take care.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:17 pm 
.50 Caliber

Hairtrigger I did it,I had to heat a 35.00 snap-on tiny screw driver and bend it to 90 degrees,the screw is so hard to get to I couldn't do it any other way.I have it adjusted to 3.3 lbs,some take up but not alot and not scratchy as before.I put some blue locktite on the screw so it wouldn't move.Done!Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:47 am 
.223 cal

Great to hear!
So you have a $35 trigger job (my time seems to be worth little if anything) Now you have a very useable trigger.
Plus you know more about your rifle.
I agree, many factory rifles will shoot better if the barrel is hand lapped. It seems most want to get paid to do it rather than give out helpful info.
There is no way my wife would let me get up at 3am to play with my guns LOL
My local shop just had a Belgium made BLR in 243 in their rack tagged at $475. The rifle looked new. I was tempted but did not want to put a toy on a credit card. I thought that rifle was priced right even though the shop rarely has deals.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:37 am 
.50 Caliber

Hairtrigger I have that exact same rifle in 243,it has accounted for 5 antelope and about 12 or 13 deer.I have a Leupold varix ll 3-9x42,I used to have a Leupold 4X on it.The new to me scope I bought used off Ebay for 80 dollars,the older 42 mm scopes are less desireable to some but I like it and those that have looked through it say its the clearest they have seen.That rifle will worth a fortune some day,I passed on an older BLR with steel reciever in 300 WSM for the same reason you mentioned,I hate my new life style,being on disability stinks.I hope to reach a stopping point and return to some kind of work some day and put cash away for that special gun I may see,mainly any steel frame BLR's.Take care.Drop-Shot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:04 pm 
.223 cal

Living in Ohio I have little use for my BLR in 308. I like it enough to have considered the 243. I also own a Steel BLR 81 in 223 that I shoot often and really enjoy. Suprising the groups a lever can make!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:40 pm 
.50 Caliber

If you ever want to get rid of the BLR in 308 just give me first chance,I've wanted one since I got the 243 many years ago.The BLR in 300WSM I passed on had a tag of 450.00,the owner of the rifle just bought a rifle to replace the BLR and saw me look at it and asked me to make an offer,I just can't take recoil anymore he said.I bet I could have gotten that rifle for 375.00-400.00,like you I would have had to put it on a credit card and didn't want to do that.Drop-Shot